Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fly me to the moon

Since I've got free time this year, I decided to make baked and snowskin mooncakes for Mid-Autumn. The previous two years I was busy coming back from interstate or overseas.

Today, I attempted baking mooncakes for the first time.


Last night I made the taro paste and custard yolk. And today I baked. :) (I probably spent about 5 hours all up... )

Oh. And I'm making my snowskin mooncakes on Friday! :P

Baked mooncakes
Makes about 16

Custard yolk:
Makes about 40-50.

400g caster sugar
100g corn flour
80g low protein flour
400ml coconut cream
6 egg yolks

Heat sugar and coconut cream until sugar is disolved. Allow to cool. Mix in flour and egg yolks.
Steam for about 30-45mins.

Allow to cool a bit. Whilst still a bit warm, roll into little yolk sized balls. Refrigerate overnight.



Pastry:
300g golden syrup
450g plain flour
75g corn oil

Mix golden syrup and oil together. Mix in flour until well combined. Lightly knead into a dough and set aside for 30mins or so. Divide into 50g.


Taro paste:
cooked mashed taro 1kg
shredded coconut
a can of Wu Chung taro paste (I found this too sweet by itself and didn't taste like taro as it was mixed with mung bean?, so I decided to incorporate more real taro)

Combine all together. Divide into 60g.


Making the mooncakes:

Place yolk in the centre of the taro paste and roll into a ball.
Roll out pastry to 1-2mm depth. Wrap the filling.
Lightly dust with some flour and press into mooncake mould gently.
Place onto a lined baking tray. Spray a bit of water to prevent cracking.


Bake in a preheated 180C oven for about 15mins.


Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly for about 10mins.


Brush with egg wash and place back into oven for another 10mins until brown and glossy.


Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing.


No comments:

Post a Comment