Friday, August 3, 2012

Hot hot hotteok!

Hotteok. I first had this on the streets of Myeongdong at night. It was a very cold winter's night when I first arrived in Seoul. And this panfried sweet chewy cinnamony sugary pancake was a delight at 1000W.


But then it got better. I went to Busan and it was freezing. They sold hotteok with nuts for only 900W. The first one I had at one of the stalls was nice.


Then I came back a few hours later and noticed how popular another stall was. The line was massive!



And they had a self paying system. It was all go go go! You put money down, take your change, and grab a cup for each hotteok purchase. For the same price as the other place, it had extra raisins/sultanas in the nut mixture.


I didn't like it though. The raisins made it too sweet. I very much preferred the first place which wasn't as popular. This place was only popular because an actress was filmed buying one from there on a variety show... A bit overrated.

Anyway, a few months back, I was reeeeeeaaaally missing Korea. So I made myself some hotteok! Hehe :)



Hotteok
Makes about 8

1/4 cup lukewarm water
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp dried active yeast
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup glutinous rice flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp chopped walnuts

roasted pinenuts, as extra

Dissolve 1tbsp sugar and yeast in water. Mix into flour, salt and the rest of the sugar, milk and oil.
Knead for 10mins. Cover, and leave to rise for about 3 hours.

For filling mixture, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.

Fill dough with filling.

Oil pan, and shallow pan fry for about 10mins or so until golden brown.

Serve immediately. Cut a hole at one end, and fill with extra dry filling and pine nuts.

YUM!

Don't eat too many though.. as it's full of calories. I felt so fat after eating two of them in Busan... D: (Seriously, my face looked so plump when I left)

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm glad you are back blogging! I really enjoy reading your blog =) I made hoddeok recently too! Your recipe is slightly different (I don't use glutinous rice flour) but yours look so YUMMY! never thought about filling them with pine nuts! have you tried making savoury ones with cheese?

    I can't wait to go to korea one day!!

    ReplyDelete